Housing Choice Vouchers


for rent

What is the Housing Choice Voucher?

Formerly known as Section 8, the Housing Choice Voucher program assists eligible families with safe, affordable housing through a subsidized voucher or certificate program that provides financial help with monthly rental and utility payments. Skyline CAP, Inc. administers this program in Madison, Greene and Orange counties for Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA) funded through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The voucher allows household to live in a home of their choosing as long as it meets standards for safety determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. For more details about the program, please go to the VHDA website.





For Tenants

How is eligibility determined?

Eligibility is primarily based on income. Seniors and disabled persons are given preference. Households must certify their income every year for continued program participation. To find out if you meet income eligibility requirements in Skyline's service area, please refer to these guidelines.

How do I apply?

The Housing Choice Voucher program is not currently accepting applications. If you would like to be placed on the waiting list, you MUST apply online through the website for Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA). Skyline cannot accept your application directly. To find out if the waiting list is open and/or access this application, go to VHDA's online application.

Are there any special resources for veterans?

Skyline does not offer special assistance for veterans, although seniors and persons with disabilities are given preferences in receiving vouchers. However, there is a separate program available. If you are a veteran, you may be able to access the Veteran Supportive Housing Voucher for rental assistance. To find out more about this special program from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs and Housing and Urban Development, click here.


For Landlords

I own a rental unit. How can I make it available for a voucher holder?

Any property occupied by a family with a voucher must meet HUD's housing quality standards and must have a rent equal to or less than the Fair Market Rent established by HUD. If you believe your unit qualifies, contact Skyline's housing office at (434) 985-6066 to discuss your options further with one of our Housing Choice Voucher agents. You can also find out more details about the program from the VHDA web site.

What if I still have questions?

Please contact our housing office in Greene County at (434) 985-6066.

Home | About Us | Get Involved | Head Start | Project Discovery | Housing | Employment | News | Donate Now | Contact Us